Poet, Audrey Austin

Poet, Audrey Austin
This site is to honour my mother, poet, Eva Ruby Austin.

Friday, December 28, 2012

At Christmas -- Remembering Dudley

At Christmas

by Audrey Austin
Through multi-paned window\
Brown eyes wishing, praying,
Desire to be inside on carpet near fireside,
To hear what they say,
To watch children play.
The children are happy, Santa has been most kind
Gifts galore on the floor just inside the door
But I feel all alone on the other side,
My feelings are injured and so is my pride.
Then finally it happens
Susan asks where is Spot?
Bobby cries come here boy and share in our joy
It’s not Christmas without you, we love you a lot.
I lift freezing paw tap, tappity, tap
On the window. At last she looks up,
Oh, Bobby, you’ve left him outside in the cold, Susan scolds
Just before the big door swings wide.
Now through multi-paned window I watch snowflakes dancing
I lay, tail wag-wagging. I’m loving my life,
Christmas carols entrancing,
Outside reindeer are prancing,
Let me stay on the inside so there’s nothing I’ll miss,
Another dog’s Christmas and life is pure bliss.

Remembering Dudley


No comments:

Post a Comment