Poet, Audrey Austin

Poet, Audrey Austin
This site is to honour my mother, poet, Eva Ruby Austin.

Saturday, December 1, 2012

Do You Know Trees? A poem first published in Penpourri, Elliot Lake Writers' Workshop Anthology of Stories and Poems

 a poem by Audrey Austin.

Do You Know Trees ?

From north, from south
To meet in the centre.
Feeling, wanting
Do you know trees? he asks
And I feel less than I am.
We walk
And I want to look at him
In a way that he can't look at me.
Protect myself
While I explore
His vulnerability.
I need a hug.
 
Words come easy to him
And I like the listening
I like the sound
Of thoughts that don't feel foreign.
I like the feel of words
That don't stand alone,
That seek a friend
In their friendly tone.
Sitting on concrete
Feet on grass,
I want to ask, do you like me?
 
Do I invite him upstairs?
What if he says yes?
What if he says no, I have to go?
What if?
Feeling the wine,
Drinking his words
Touching my heart.
He likes me.
 
Here's to friendship.
I need a hug.
I want a hug.
I feel a hug.
I feel like feeling more
But instead I close the door.
And now I wait,
Anticipate
And wonder.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment