Poet, Audrey Austin

Poet, Audrey Austin
This site is to honour my mother, poet, Eva Ruby Austin.

Friday, February 1, 2013

What If ... a poem by Audrey Austin

What If

A what if feeling arrived late last night
I took it to bed in the dark out of sight
 But not out of mind
 though I'd like it to be
Can't quite understand
what has happened to me
 
It was still there this morning
I wish it would leave
It arrived uninvited insisting believe
Couldn't focus on work
so my feet hit the trail
Each step stamped this feeling
but to no avail
 
What triggered this feeling?
What word, what cruel twist
Has weasled its way into what doesn't exist?
The question what if
has stolen my morning
And coloured my feelings
as though they were mourning
the loss of something
that hasn't transpired
Except in my mind
 
 
This poem by me was previously published in "Moments in Time" , Northern Ontario Poetry Collection, Volume 13, 2008.  Canadian Authors Association - Temiskaming Branch and White Mountain Publications.

               

No comments:

Post a Comment