Poet, Audrey Austin

Poet, Audrey Austin
This site is to honour my mother, poet, Eva Ruby Austin.

Saturday, May 10, 2014

Do You Know Trees? - a poem by Audrey Austin


Do You Know Trees?

From north, from south
To meet in the centre,
Feeling wanting.
Do you know trees?  he asked
And I feel less than I am.
We walk
And I want to look at him
In a way that he can’t look at me,
Protect myself
While I explore
His vulnerability.
I need a hug.

Words come easy to him
And I like the listening.
I like the sound
Of thoughts that don’t feel foreign.
I like the feel of words
That don’t stand alone,
That seek a friend
In their friendly tone.

Sitting on concrete
Feet on grass,
I want to ask, do you like me?
Can the answer to this
Be found in Newton’s Law?
Do I invite him upstairs?
What if he says yes?
What if he says no, I have to go?
What if?

Feeling the wine,
Drinking his words
Touching my heart,
He likes me.
Here’s to friendship.
I need a hug.
I want a hug.
I feel a hug.
I feel like feeling more
But instead I close the door
And now I wait,
Anticipate and wonder.

No comments:

Post a Comment